What is LOSFA?
The Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) is a Program of the Louisiana Board of Regents, that strives to be Louisiana’s first choice for college access by promoting, preparing for and providing equity of college access. LOSFA administers the state’s scholarship and grant programs and the state’s Internal Revenue Code Section 529 college savings program.
Among the programs administered by LOSFA are:
- The Taylor Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS): a program of state merit-based scholarships for Louisiana residents who attend either one of the Louisiana Public Colleges and Universities, schools that are a part of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System, Louisiana approved Proprietary and Cosmetology Schools or institutions that are a part of the Louisiana Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
- TOPS Tech: is offered to qualified high school graduates and provides up to two years of skill or occupational training to be pursued at an accredited Louisiana postsecondary institution that offers a vocational or technical education certificate/diploma.
- TOPS Tech Early START: dual enrollment for high school juniors and seniors in top demand job fields
- Rockefeller State Wildlife Scholarship: for students majoring in forestry, marine biology, etc.
- GO Grant: provides need-based aid for Pell Grant recipients with remaining unmet need
- Chafee Educational Training Voucher (ETV): financial aid for students who have aged out of foster care.
- John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program: for prosecutors and public defenders
- Strategies to Empower People (STEP): financial aid, funded by the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) for Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP) recipients
- Go Youth ChalleNGe Program: tuition aid for students who complete this LA National Guard program
- BESE Tuition Program for Teachers: allows teachers to enroll in courses at LA colleges at state’s expense
- Student Tuition Assistance and Revenue Trust Program (START): Louisiana’s 529 College Saving Program
- START K12: Louisiana’s saving program for K-12 tuition expenses
- LA ABLE: Louisiana’s 529A saving program for persons with disabilities
Click on the button below to learn more about LOSFA Programs.
LOSFA is also active in the dissemination and support of college access information and services within the state with a concentration on assisting students from low-income families and first-generation college attendees in locating and obtaining the resources necessary to pursue and complete a postsecondary education.